Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Just asking about a social worker lll child welfare services

Customer Question

hello
just asking about a social worker lll child welfare services
he called today and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning
today the social worker went to the house of my ex girlfriend/mother of our son and asked questions
she told me that the social worker asked her to sign a document.
I asked what she signed and no answer was given to me
so I don't really know what this is all about
I was only told by my ex girlfriend that the social worker as a new case based and may be for my 17 years old step daughter and sister of my son leaving with me and helping to take care her brother
she also smokes pot. is that something that the social worker can ask to submit a drug test on the spot for any or all of us?
I have a full custody of my 8 years old son
what they do? and
what are my rights?
thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you and everyone concerned can be subjected to drug test if there is suspicion of drug abuse. However, you should be patient and wait to be contacted by the Social Worker or get an Order from the Court as to what is required of you. Unfortunately, if your ex-girlfriend has decided not to disclose further information to you, there is nothing you can do except to wait to get a formal notice from the Social Worker regarding the investigation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi
The worker is coming tomorrow afternoon to meet me! It looks like the concern is my step daughter smoking Marijuana!but She does not smoke in the house! If they concern about the marijuana what should I say or act!
If they request a test, how they request? On the spot or with a court order? It is possible that he as an order already?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How they request a drug test?

Hi

Response 1: I am sorry, but I cannot give you legal advice because I am not your Attorney. However, it is always prudent to tell the truth. Also, you are under no legal obligation to let the investigator into your home if you do not want to.

If they request a test, how they request? On the spot or with a court order?

Response 2: With a Court Order.

It is possible that he as an order already?

Response 3: I do not know, but anything is possible