P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My husband and I married in Jordan 24 years ago and lived in

Customer Question

My husband and I married in Jordan 24 years ago and lived in DC since then . We never got a marriage certificate here in DC . We file taxes jointly and have two kids. In case of divorce will I have rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You do have rights. If you are married, and you divorce in the US? Then the divorce laws from the state in which you obtain the divorce will apply.

The fact the marriage occurred abroad will not matter...your rights in a divorce will be the same as a person married within the US

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.