FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Can i be sued 26 year old sons actions. Harassment claims.

Customer Question

can i be sued for my 26 year old sons actions. Harassment claims.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. Based upon what you shared above, it is unlikely that you can be sued. I say this because you need to be involved in some way, to show that the court has jurisdiction over you and that you are part of the lawsuit. Simply being his parent, does not mean that the company can sue you for his actions. Moreover, this is between the two of them and if money is owed, he can sue them for it. Even if he was harassing them, they need to go after him, unless they can show you were involved and part of the harassment, in some way. The person may have sent the letter in hopes of your stepping in and possible mitigating the situation, since they some how knew you were his mom but unless you can be linked to this in some way, being his parent alone, would not make you liable.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!