Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My father is 96 and lives with my stepmother. He has COPD

Customer Question

My father is 96 and lives with my stepmother. He has COPD and dementia. She leaves him alone 40+ hours/week to work full time. I appreciate her financial situation but when I brought up the idea that it could be dangerous to leave him home alone she became abusive and refused to let me see my father. I called Social Services and they claimed that she had gotten a carer, but I recently found out that she lied to them and he is still home alone. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Call Social Services again and let them know that there is no caregiver for your father when your stepmother is at work and that she lied to them.

You may also file Emergency Motion with the Court and ask for the opportunity to see how your father is doing because you are afraid what is going to happen when your stepmother continuously leaves him at home alone with no caregiver when she is at work.

You can obtain blank Motion forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried calling the Clerk's Office and they don't seem to know about the form you mention. Could you help me with that please? -- is there a specific name for this form?
Thank you.

Hello: There is no specific name for the form. You just need a blank Motion form. Motion is how you request the Court to do something. The Clerk's office have blank forms. You can also download the forms online:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/forms.htm?filter=MO