LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

My ex and I jointly own the family home and he has continued

Customer Question

My ex and I jointly own the family home and he has continued to live in it. It is now unfit for human habitation and he refuses to move out. What are my rights
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 11 months ago.

Is there a court order regarding the house? typically the divorce decree will address that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It just says that he can continue to live in the house so he could be close to our son who was still in school but our son has since graduated 10 years ago. That we had the option to buy each other out if we wanted to. I don't want money i just want want the house torn down and him gone
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HE is a disabled vet and he just won't leave but the house is literally falling in around him.

If the damage was caused by the ex, then he would be responsible for damages;

There are a couple of options; one is to quitclaim the property to the resident so as to avoid liability. For an explanation see here: http://www.jacksongov.org/content/3310/3356/3552/3554.aspx

The other is to contact Adult Protective Services; if the house is uninhabitable, they can take the necessary action - ie getting a guardianship/conservatorship for the individual if he is unable to properly care for himself (or admission to a nursing home) and to contact the local authorities to get the house deemed as unsafe.

Would you like a copy of a sample quit claim deed?