How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8958
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I jointly own the family home and he has continued

Customer Question

My ex and I jointly own the family home and he has continued to live in it. It is now unfit for human habitation and he refuses to move out. What are my rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Is there a court order regarding the house? typically the divorce decree will address that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just says that he can continue to live in the house so he could be close to our son who was still in school but our son has since graduated 10 years ago. That we had the option to buy each other out if we wanted to. I don't want money i just want want the house torn down and him gone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HE is a disabled vet and he just won't leave but the house is literally falling in around him.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

If the damage was caused by the ex, then he would be responsible for damages;

There are a couple of options; one is to quitclaim the property to the resident so as to avoid liability. For an explanation see here:

The other is to contact Adult Protective Services; if the house is uninhabitable, they can take the necessary action - ie getting a guardianship/conservatorship for the individual if he is unable to properly care for himself (or admission to a nursing home) and to contact the local authorities to get the house deemed as unsafe.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Would you like a copy of a sample quit claim deed?