ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it illegal husband to keep off e checking & saving

Customer Question

Is it illegal for my husband to keep off hie checking & saving accounts? I have no money. He left me $40.00 to live on for 17 days and I have 4 dogs to feed too.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. One moment as I type an answer to your question...

Unfortunately it is legal for him to do this. There's no law that says that you have access to money, even money that is legally considered community property. Now you could file for separation or divorce, and seek alimony to be paid by him. In that situation it would allow a court to issue a court order that would force him to pay something to you. Note that the order doesn't force him to put you on the account. No court order could do so, as this is not a legal requirement (I am sorry to say).

Again, divorce (which I don't necessarily recommend, and would first suggest counseling, etc...) would result in a distribution of community assets. But there's no law that says that you have to have access to the community accounts or separate accounts, I'm sorry to say.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see you have not responded in some time. Did you wish to continue with this question?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 10 months ago.

Hello?