ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can I give full custody to my son dad and if so can he still

Customer Question

Can I give full custody to my son dad and if so can he still try to take me to court for child support
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you can give full custody to your son's father, but that doesn't terminate your rights. You could also file for a voluntary renunciation of rights, but most of the time even that does not terminate your obligations.

Giving up your rights will not terminate your child support obligation. Parental rights include both rights AND responsibilities. You can freely give up those rights, but need a judge to sign off on relieving you of your responsibilities (child support). And this is almost exclusively in the context of an adoption.That is, when someone else is willing to step in and be declared the legal parent of the child and support the child, a judge will then relieve the biological parent of that obligation. giving up parental rights (voluntarily) rarely does much for you, as the parent. Think of parentage as a basket of rights and responsibilities. Some are things that you can do (rights) and some are things that you have to do (responsibilities). When you voluntarily give up your parental rights, you give up only the rights in this "basket", but retain the responsibilities. Even if the judge signs off on the termination of rights, the obligations remain unless the judge signs off on the termination of those as well.

Now you can enter into an agreement with the father that you won't pursue custody / etc... if he doesn't seek child support from you. And if this other woman wants to adopt your son, the judge would likely sign off on the termination of your rights AND responsibilities (child support). But in the absence of a court order saying that you don't have any more child support responsibility, it's still possible that he could come after you for child support.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Hello?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see you have not responded in some time. Did you wish to continue with this question?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Hello?