Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

A married couple of 20 years has decided to get a divorce,

Customer Question

A married couple of 20 years has decided to get a divorce, they do have a son who is over 18 years old and they do have a real estate property in both names with current equity of about 30k. One of them makes 5000 monthly the other one makes 1100 (both listed numbers are NET) What would be the amount of spousal support and for how long
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Permanent alimony is becoming increasingly rare. Although Colorado law still uses the term "permanent" to refer to spousal maintenance orders extending beyond the final date of dissolution, the great majority of such awards are only for a limited time.

Generally speaking, the longer the marriage, the longer maintenance payments may continue. Even after longer marriages, however, Colorado courts tend to look at alimony as rehabilitative: a form of temporary assistance to allow a spouse time to find a job or obtain training and education to improve job prospects. True permanent (lifetime) alimony is generally reserved for spouses with very poor employment prospects due to ill health or advanced age. A couple can always agree between themselves that one spouse will pay the other longer-term or permanent alimony.

If a couple’s combined annual gross income is $75,000 dollars or less, Colorado courts employ a formula to determine eligibility for temporary alimony. The formula provides for a monthly payment to the lower earner of 40% of the higher earner’s monthly adjusted gross income minus 50% of the lower earner’s monthly adjusted gross income. Prior to applying the formula, the court will subtract from each spouse’s income any pre-existing spousal support payments either spouse makes, as well as any child support payments either makes for children outside of the current marriage. So alimony would be approximately $1450 to the spouse with the lower income.

Either spouse can request a deviation from the formula for unfairness, and a judge granting such request must specify the reasons for the decision. Both spouses can also agree to waive temporary maintenance for the lower earning spouse, but such an agreement must include the reasons for the waiver; a waiver agreement may be rejected by a judge if the judge considers the agreement to be extremely unfair.

A court may also order temporary maintenance for the lower earner of a couple whose combined gross income exceeds $75,000, as well as "permanent" maintenance for the lower earner of a couple at any income level. However, the court must first find that the spouse seeking maintenance:

lacks sufficient property, including any award of marital property, to provide for reasonable needs, andlacks the ability to become self-supporting through appropriate employment, or is the custodian of a child whose condition or circumstances make it appropriate for the spouse to delay seeking employment.

A court that makes such findings can then award maintenance in whatever amount and for whatever period of time seems fair. Colorado courts consider only factors relating to the needs of one spouse and the ability of the other spouse to pay for both spouse’s needs. Fault is not a consideration. Relevant factors may include:

the financial resources of the spouse seeking maintenance, including any award of marital property or child supportthe future earning capacity of the spouse seeking maintenance, and any time necessary for education and trainingthe standard of living established during the marriagethe length of the marriagethe age and physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance, andthe ability of the paying spouse to meet the financial needs of both spouses.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.