Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If I am now considered legally married now, due to the death

Customer Question

If I am now considered legally married now, due to the death of my common law husband, in the state of N.H., am I considered next of kin in the matter of inheritance? So far the guardian of his minor child has been the next of kin for funeral services.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Under New Hampshire law, “Persons cohabitating and acknowledging each other as husband and wife, and generally reputed to be such, for 3 years shall thereafter be deemed to have been legally married, until one of them dies.” (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XLIII/457/457-39.htm)

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, if you meet those criteria, you should be his heir at law and next of kin.