Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My daughter-in-law is angry with me and she will not let me

Customer Question

My daughter-in-law is angry with me and she will not let me see the children. I haven't seen them in 6 months. I would like to petition the courts for grandparent visitation rights, since I was very active in raising them. They live in Montgomery county and I live in Philadelphia. How or where do I start?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Jurisdiction for grandparent's rights is filed where the children live, so this would be in Montgomery County. PA grandparents can be requested by the grandparent, but this is not automatic. The Judge has to agree. See HERE for instructions and a petition example.

The suit is begun by the grandparent filing a petition with the Court, seeking visitation rights, and serving the parent. The link I provided above contains a sample petition.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry but I do not see the link.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Oh no! Sorry, for some reason it did not "work" in the original question. The link button seems to be not working. Here is the url directly:

http://www.pailp.org/Grandparents'%20Guide%202010.pdf

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!