Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What rights does a girlfriend of my son 4 yrs. have in

Customer Question

What rights does a girlfriend of my son for only 4 yrs. have in regards ***** ***** personal property upon his death from an accident involving vehicles. I'm his father and seem to have no rights what so ever. A judge gave her power over his property. Is this Iowa law? In Wisconsin, she would not have any rights to his property.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Can you please tell me:

a) Were there custody orders for your son prior to his passing?

b) If so, who was the managing custodian, i.e. the parent with whom the child lived? Was it you or her?

c) Or, there were not custody orders in place?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You didn't answer my question at all ! This was a 37 yrs. old man.
I just want to know what rights a girlfriend has to his personal property. There lived together
for 4 yrs.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I should have known better then be fooled by this so called "ask a lawyer" site.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry, I am not sure what you mean by being fooled. I was writing out an answer and it takes a bit of time to do so because I wanted to be thorough.

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

But it seems that you wish to terminate the conversation, so I will opt out.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...

Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your son. If you want to continue here, we can. If you do not want to continue You can use this LINK and ask the moderator to close your question.

If you want to continue, I will need to know if the assets/property she has been granted is property they bought together? Or are you certain all that she has been awarded is your son's sole property?