Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Can an employer force me to change my day off even though I

Customer Question

Can an employer force me to change my day off even though I take care of a child. I've been working there for 7 years
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Like most states, New Jersey is an at-will employment state, meaning that for the most part, either side can end the relationship without a good reason. There are a few exceptions for employers, who cannot fire you based on things like age or race. They also can't fire employees who have a contract, whether written or implied. The scheduling of an employee's hours and/or days of work are up to the discretion of the employer and being an at-will state could terminate you if you refuse to change your hours.

The federal Family and Medical Leave Act guarantees 12 weeks of unpaid leave every year to many employees who need it for their own serious health condition, to care for a new baby and certain other reasons. New Jersey laws offers similar protections and also require up to six weeks of paid leave for specific reasons.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.