Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

If a 16 year old has been living with her grandparents year

Customer Question

If a 16 year old has been living with her grandparents for 1 year and her mother has passed.If her father and step mother want her to move back home what right does she have to stay with grandparents.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the mother has passed, then since the child is a minor, she wouldn't have any legal power to determine where she lived. A minor is under the control and supervision of their parents until they either become an adult at the age of 18 or are emancipated earlier by the court.

.

The father would have sole discretion as the remaining parent to determine where she lived unless the grandparents petitioned for custody of the child and it was granted by the courts.

.

.

thanks