P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

I am a widow my husband being killed in a car accident and I

Customer Question

I am a widow my husband being killed in a car accident and I want to know do I have to take his Social Security over the widows pension from the military? They say I have to go with the Social Security which affords me less pay......
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

The widows pension available from the veterans administration is a "needs based" income supplement. It is, in essence, welfare for veterans and their dependents.

Because of this, they will consider income, from all other sources, when the perform the eligibility testing for the benefit.

If you are eligible for SS? That income will be deducted from the widows pension benefit.

Now...if the amount you are receiving from SS is less than the widows pension? YOu get the difference.

But if your income from all sources exceeds the widows pension amount? YOu will not qualify for the benefit

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.