Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I was molested as a child by my mother's live in boyfriend

Customer Question

I was molested as a child by my mother's live in boyfriend and his son. I was 5 or 6 when it started and it lasted until I was 12 or 13 years old. I reported it and remember going to the courthouse to tell my story. I think I was 8 or 9 years old. Well they didn't arrest the man and he was back in the home. Needless to say the molestation continued. He has passed and so has my mother. My question is can I sue the state for not doing more to protect me. This has affected every aspect of my life. I am 43 now and have PTSD because of repressed memories returning. This happened in Mississippi.
Thank you for your assistance
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

How long ago was this? What happened in court? In what US state did this occur?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This happened in Mississippi I was 8 or 9 it was in 1980, I think. The man was fined 50 dollars I think and nothing after that. He was allowed back into the home and the molestation continued.

It's not clear whether this is the state's fault, as there was some court proceeding and I can't see what he was charged with, what he was convicted of, how the conviction happened or how the sentence was determined. That the molestation continued was also arguably something for which your mother may have been more responsible than the state.

I never have to concern myself with those factors, however, because, unfortunately, the statute of limitations on a personal injury suit in Mississippi is three years from the injury, and I am assuming that it has been well more than three years since the molestation last occurred. That means you are time-barred and it is much too late now to sue anybody for what happened to you.

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.