Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I was married in Quadalahara, Mexico in 1995. By 2000 we

Customer Question

I was married in Quadalahara, Mexico in 1995. By 2000 we bought a house in Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico. We were married 10 yrs. he kicked me out, I had to drive back to WI in the States. I did divorce him 3 yrs later. Both our names were on the house when we bought it , I never signed off of anything. He is now deceased. I have never remarried. My ques is: Do I still have any legal rights to the house now that he is dead?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your name remained on the house in Mexico, the house is still your house, even if you divorced. So because your name was left on the house and he is now deceased, you are now the owner of the house along with his heirs as well. So you are joint tenants and you still own a share of the house. In order to get the house itself properly put into your name so you can use it or sell it, you have to file in the probate court in Mexico and that requires a Mexican attorney. You can get a Mexican estate/probate attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com