Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

How does it take dissolution of marriage to be granted by a

Customer Question

how long does it take for a dissolution of marriage to be granted by a judge in Ohio?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

This depends upon what stage you are in the proceedings and whether the divorce is contested or not. If it is a simple dissolution where both parties agree to all items in the separation agreement, there is a final hearing where the judge approves the divorce and then about three months after that the parties should be issued the divorce decree. So, you are looking at about 3 to 6 months from the date the separation agreement is filed with the court to have the final hearing and the judges final dissolution signature. However, if this is not a simple agreed to dissolution and there are contested matters between the parties, a divorce can take longer than a year (at the least).

-

Please let me know if you need further information or you want to give me some more information so that I can better pinpoint a timeframe for you (such as what type of divorce you are seeking and whether the separation agreement has been filed).

-

MARY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the packet on my power I have not file it yet, but both my wife and I have agree to all the points.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again --

-

If you agree to all points and submit a consented to divorce application (both parties signing) then the court has to schedule a hearing just to have the both of you appear and agree that all of the terms and conditions are still fine and agreeable between you. That hearing will be scheduled in about a month or two after you file the paperwork with the clerk's office at the family court (depending upon the backup). You should then get a signed divorce decree within three months of the hearing date. So you are looking at as little as 4 months to as much as 6 months if you are both agreeing to divorce and there are no contested issues between you. When you submit the paperwork for the divorce hearing, ask the clerk to put it on the judges calendar for the first available date and hopefully they will give you a little consideration and speed things up a bit for you.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it is simply the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you tonight. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY