FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My soon to be ex husband and I are separated. 6 months ago

Customer Question

My soon to be ex husband and I are separated. 6 months ago my son went to live with him and my daughter remained with me. My son now wants to live home (he is 12). There was no formal custody agreement in place however I filed for custody yesterday formally. Am I required to force my son to return there? He doesn't want to go.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Additional info: I maintained the family home with no support from my estranged husband which is the home the children have lived in since 2008 (they are 10 & 12)
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. No, you would not be forced to return the child. The reason why I say this is because there was an agreement with the spouse, as to who will keep the child and if now, they want the child back, it would need to be ordered by the court. If you filed for formal custody yesterday, the matter would need to be heard, before any party is forced to do anything. The court is always going to act in the best interest of the child, so you want to make sure any argument made, supports that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. My son is home with me now and wants to remain as such. To make sure I understood correctly; even though I "got him" for a visit I am legally able to keep him with me if that is his choice (my sons)?

Not exactly. If this was a visit and there was an agreement, the child should be returned. However, if there was nothing formal, you have just as much right to the child as the other parent, so if you wanted to keep him, that is at your discretion, since there is no court order in place, at this time. However, your son never has the final say and that will be up to the Judge.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!