FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Are there any ramifications to the non-custodial parent who

Customer Question

Are there any ramifications to the non-custodial parent who refuses to earn money in order to pay support?
He's 23K behind, finally GOT a tiny job after a year of nothing. CA is garnishing his wages, but it still falls short by 85% each month. Can the court order him to work more? He use to make 6 figures.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. Yes, there are consequences. If the court finds that he has the ability to pay support but is willfully not paying it, it can find him in contempt of court. Being in contempt of court could mean jail time for him for not paying child support. Of course, you would need to show that he intentionally has failed to work and find employment, to avoid paying and he would be required to show proof that he has applied for work but can not get hired.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how would I prove that he has failed to find work? By providing years of his past work evidence (tax forms)? What does the court see as "evidence of failure to obtain work?" And what is the form I'd need to fill out at the court to get this in front of the judge?
Thank you.

The burden would be on him to show he has made an effort to find work. This would be the justification to show why he has failed to pay and why the Judge should not hold him in contempt and jail time. It is clear he is not paying support and there are arrears, so the Judge is going to want to know what he has been doing. The clerk has a form to hold him in contempt, which you can obtain

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.