Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I am seeking a divorce - I receive only $800.00 per month

Customer Question

I am seeking a divorce - I receive only $800.00 per month that is a disability pension that I obtained thru a job of more than 16 years - my husband has a full time job - his mother lives with us and brings in over 5,000.00 a month and my husband name is ***** ***** checking account - what can I expect to get for alimony - we were married 25 years in September - we live in the same house but have not shared a bed in over a year - can u help me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Delaware law specifically restricts permanent alimony awards to marriages of at least 20 years. Delaware courts consider alimony to be primarily rehabilitative in nature unless a judge finds this to be unfair due to the spouse’s incapacitating illness or disability like in your case.

Couples can also make their own agreements regarding terms and conditions of alimony. If the two of you cannot agree, then the court will decide the amount. It will consider whether or not you have a need for support because you:

• are dependent on the other spouse, lack sufficient property, including any apportioned marital property to provide for your own reasonable needs
  • are unable to become self-supporting through appropriate employment, or
  • are the custodian of a child whose circumstances make it appropriate for you to delay finding employment.

Once the court finds that you need support, it can then award alimony in whatever amount and for whatever period of time seems fair. Delaware courts don’t take fault into account when determining the fairness of alimony awards. Rather, they consider all factors relating to your needs and the other spouse’s ability to pay.

Here is the law that applies. However, there is no preset way to determine what amount you would receive. Each case is decided independently based on the legal factors.

See § 1512 Alimony in divorce and annulment actions; award; limitations. at the link above.

Please assign a feedback rating for this answer so that JA will compensate me for my time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Info was a start for me - good job!!!