Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

My spouse wrote a complaint and asking lawyer. My lawyer

Customer Question

My spouse wrote a complaint for divorce and asking for money for his lawyer. My lawyer will write a complaint with no money.
If our lawyers won't agree on money question will the court hearing be appointed or not necessarily.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the lawyers cannot agree, the judge will decide whether to order you to pay your lawyer's attorney's fees. The judge will usually order a hearing if there is any dispute over your income, your spouse's income and ability to pay, or whether the fees being charged by the attorney are reasonable. The judge could also order that your spouse must pay legal fees out of his share of the marital estate, rather than making you pay them upfront. So, for example, if you had a bank account with $10,000 in it, you could be required to give your spouse $5,000 from that account to pay his lawyer, but then you'd get the rest of that money.