Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Is Minnesota considering changing the life time spousal

Customer Question

Is Minnesota considering changing the life time spousal support law. I was married to her for 19 yrs. And have been paying 265.00 since 1991. Though she acts like she has a lot of ailments they are sympathy tricks. She has been living with a guy all that time.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

You do not need to wait for the law to change. You can file a Petition for Spousal Support Modification with the basis that she is cohabiting/living with another person who is helping her financially by contributing to her rent, mortgage and/or other living expenses.

If you are interested in filing the Modification, you should be able to obtain those documents from the clerk of the court. You can fill them out on your own and then file them and have her served. The court will schedule a hearing after the time has lapsed for her to file her response.

In the Modification you may request the support be terminated based on her living with someone else. You will need to show there is financial support to her benefit from the person she is living with. You can do that after you file the the Modification and then have Discovery motions filed wherein you can request her bank records, the bank records of the other person, information on her debts, etc.

You also will need to prove that she is indeed living with this other person. You can do that with Interrogatories, which are a series of questions that she needs to answer. Such questions can include where she is living, and if anyone is living with her, how long they have been living together, etc.

Please let me know here, if you have other questions, need more information or clarification. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you