FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

From va live in fl now how can I stop paying alimony in va

Customer Question

from va live in fl now how can I stop paying alimony in va she got have at div 12 yr ago pay 1,800/mo paying out of ira now 190,000 left living on ss 2,000/mo can she get my ss
James Mowles
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, it may be possible if there has been a substantial change in circumstances. Some examples of the kinds of changes in circumstances that can support a modification of a current spousal support order include:

• Involuntary loss of a job by either party.
  • Incapacity, medical problems, injury or disability of a person paying spousal support.
  • Cohabitation or remarriage of a person receiving spousal support.
  • Change in work hours or assignment causing a change (increase or decrease) in earnings of either party. Such change in earnings must be at least 15% to 20% in order to be a "significant change in circumstances" sufficient to warrant a change in spousal support.
  • Significant job promotion or other salary increase of at least 15% to 20% percent for either party.

Moreover, I have provided a link below, to the statute which controls and allows it, so you should review it, to make sure you are eligible for it, as long as the previous order did not prevent it from being modified.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/20-109/

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!