Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

How do I first file

Customer Question

How do I first file for divorce
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The first step to filing for divorce is to establish grounds. In Illinois, either spouse can seek a no-fault divorce once the spouses have lived separate and apart for 2 years. If that's not the case, then you have to be able to establish: bigamy, adultery, abuse, alcohol abuse or drug addiction lasting at least 2 years, or abandonment for at least one year.

Once you have grounds, you can file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Some counties may have forms you can use online. For example, here are the forms and instructions for Cook County. The process for filing an uncontested divorce does tend to be simpler. This site also has forms that may be useful.

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/?fuseaction=home.formLibrary

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.