Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Im 16 and I was wondering how I could get emancipated. I

Customer Question

Im 16 and I was wondering how I could get emancipated. I have a job, and I do have a son. My boyfriend has an apartment, it is furnished, and has everything my parents have. He also will help me if I need help, he works in construction. I know how to do everything myself. And well my Step dad, which I known as my real dad. Him and I are always at each others throat, and I don't feel that my son is safe around him. Because, he's always calling him a wetback, and things like that. He's told me to leave the house before, my mom has too. But then changes her mind at the last minute.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Texas law allows for the emancipation of minors in certain circumstances. Any minor petitioning a Texas court for emancipation -- that is, being declared an adult in the eyes of the law -- must be a Texas resident, 17 years old (or 16 and living apart from one's parents), and able to support and manage one's own affairs.

The minor seeking emancipation will have to state the following in his or her petition:

Name, age, residency of petitioner

Name and residency of parents/guardians (if still living), or managing conservator (if applicable)

Reasons why emancipation serves the best interests of the petitioning minor

Purpose for the request.

So you would actually have to move out (as well as thr other rrquirements listed) and then file a petition with the court with the facts I also outlined. I would think about retaining an attorney to help you with the process.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

I see you reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Any chance for a positive rating?