How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2981
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend, "" (who is retired military, stays home full

Customer Question

Hello; my boyfriend, "Dave" (who is retired military, stays home full time) and I (work full time) and have a disabled son at home with us, purchased a fixer-upper house together 2 years ago, with a 5 year loan, payment taken out of our joint account monthly.
In the past 2 years we have been remodeling and building onto this house... I have learned this man is not like I thought he would be. He does nothing while I'm at work and it's like pulling teeth to get him to physically work on the property when I'm home as well. Needless to say....I have concerns. After dragging, pushing and pulling him around to do the manual labor for 2 long years, I'm tired. I just want to end the relationship with this unmotivated, lazy, sloppy man.
The challenge is: He won't leave.
I don't want to move my son again disrupting his life, now that he loves his new school. I am also afraid to move out for fear Dave will move in his daughter, son in law and their 2 children who besides destroying the place; I would have a hard time getting out. I do understand, whether living here or not, I owe half the mortgage for 3 more years.
I've suggested we sell the property and go our separate ways; he doesn't like that option either. I know I would need his signature to sell.
Not only does this house have too many unfinished projects, some projects he has done (electrical, plumbing, septic) I'm sure would never pass inspection keeping it from selling.
Just not sure what I should do.....
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If the two of you didn’t sign a joint house ownership agreement that sets forth your intentions in case your relationship ends, you have two choices. You can either follow the legal procedures that apply in Arizona, this means the court will order the property to be sold, and the net proceeds (after paying mortgages, liens, and costs of sale) to be divided or you can reach your own compromise settlement. It sounds as if the compromise will not work in this case. You need to retain a divorce attorney in your area to assert your rights in this matter. That attorney will file suit to divide the joint property and most likely the court will order it to be sold. You can search for an attorney in your area on or by specialty and the site also has reviews so you can find the right attorney for you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hoping you will check back in, let me know if I can do anything else for you. I would like to earn a positive rating and answer any further questions. Please let me know.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?