P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Does a judge have to sign papers from an attorney to keep a

Customer Question

Does a judge have to sign papers from an attorney to keep a parent from seeing they're children? The mother died last month, the children and the mother were staying with her mother (childrens grandmother) the grandmother wants to file for custody,and had "papers" served saying he (the father) can't see or contact his children without permission from the grandmother, it's my understanding that South Carolina has no grand parental rights.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

That is correct. ONLY a judge can take away custody from a parent. Period. So unless the judge orders otherwise, the father has sole rights to the child

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.