Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My husband gave me herpes and is divorcing me. can I claim a

Customer Question

my husband gave me herpes and is divorcing me . can I claim a civil suit
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Yes, you can file an action for damages. The basis for the claims can include Batter as well as Negligence. Under California Law, the courts have imposed what amounts to a strict liability standard. This means your husband can not defend himself on the claim that he did not know.

One of the primary cases in California is John B. v. Superior Court, 38 Cal. 4th 1177 (2006).

California courts have awarded millions of dollars in these cases. And it makes no dofference that he is your husband.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.