Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

My new husband has been lying about the money he makes to

Customer Question

my new husband has been lying about the money he makes to support us. he has been borrowing and pawning items to look better financially then he is. as one would assume the fighting has become very UGLY! I don't feel there is trust and want to explore my options of ending this without being divorced. I haven't sent in our marriage lisence yet, are we married ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Until the fully executed license is returned to the county for registration the state has no record of your marriage and it does not legally exist. Sort of like the proverbial tree falling the forest with no one to hear it.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u still there?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The wedding ceremony and reception are strictly social events with no legal significance to a valid marriage. For that, there must be a fully executed license returned to the county clerk for registration. Otherwise, the requirements to have a valid marriage have not been met and the parties are, from a legal standpoint, cohabitants.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.