How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8065
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am disabled and make 24988.00 a year. My ex husband is an

Customer Question

I am disabled and make 24988.00 a year. My ex husband is an attorney and I know he makes over $ 130000.00. How much can I be expected to pay for child support.we have a 5 year old son.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Here is a calculator that can be used to get a figure ( we aren't allowed to run the numbers because we don't have all the requisite information, and that would be a legal service performed by a private attorney) - https://lawhelpinteractive.org/Interview/Home/2098/engine?ProcessSetID=0&FromMNEfiling=False&UserTypeId=0&StateId=0&ContributorGroupId=0&IsAvailabletoAll=True&IsNYProcessSet=True&TemplateName=Kansas%2BChild%2BSupport%2BWorksheet&TemplateDescription=to%2Bprepare%2Ba%2BKansas%2Bchild%2Bsupport%2Bworksheet&TemplateTypeName=A2J&TemplateState=Kansas

Also, here is the worksheet, with the table at the back. The court combines the parties monthly income to determine what basis to use for child support. Approximately $1400 is the amount for one child when the parents' combined income is in the $10,000 range monthly.

Parents pay a proportional share of the obligation based on their child support income. If one parent earns 60 percent of their combined gross income and the other parent earns 40 percent, then their child support obligation will be shared 60-40.

So for example, if the ration is 20-80, the parent that earns the lesser amount would pay 20% of the obligation, so in the above example, the paying parent would pay $280 per month.

The parent with primary residency (custody) of the child does not pay support to the other party (the party not having primary custody) even if the primary residency parent makes substantially more.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

THANK YOU!