MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I have 50/50 custody of my son an got divorced February 2015

Customer Question

I have 50/50 custody of my son an got divorced February 2015 in PA (married 4.5 years). I do not understand PA state laws for child support and would like some basic calculations to figure out how much I will have to pay if it comes to that.
Can you help answer a few different situations to give me an idea of what I am looking at.1. If I make $70,000 before taxes come out a year and my x makes $30,000 before taxes come out a year. How much or about how much will I have to pay a month in child support?2. Same question but If I make $60,000 and x makes $30,000. How much for child support?3. Same question but If I make $50,000 and x makes $30,000. How much for Child support?Lastly if my x flat out quits her job and stops working (when married she always worked) and declares $0 a year income and let's say I made $60,000. What would happen in that case and how much child support would I have to pay?I am trying to get an idea of what to expect?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The following link will assist you in estimating a calculation of what your child support obligation would be: https://www.humanservices.state.pa.us/CSWS/csws_controller.aspx?9p4J19i[email protected][email protected]@Tkg--JNqd8C7Kqqbr0Io9hmYMZoHnV2AofrXctYiI3gUTFczoozAedn8M

Child support is basically calculating by taking into consideration two factors. The first is how much time the child spends with each parent and the second is the difference in income. If your child will be spending equal time with both parents, then the only deciding factor is really the difference in income.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am plugging in info in calculated but I do not see an option for 50/50 shared physical and legal custody. Can you please give me rough idea on my 1, 2, 3 questions so I know how much money I am looking at?
Also with my # ***** Question can she just quit her job and still collect from me for child support and will I have to pay more?

We cannot calculate the payments for you here. However, the bottom will assist you in doing so.

"Calculating basic guideline support.
Note: in Pennsylvania, the person paying support is called the “obligor.” The person receiving support is the “obligee.”

1. Add both parents’ net monthly incomes to get a combined income total.

2. Divide the obligor’s net monthly income by the total from number 1, above. This will give you the obligor’s share of the combined income total.

3. Using the leftmost column of the guideline chart, find your combined income total, and then move to the right, to the column for the correct number of children. This is your combined basic child support obligation.

4. Multiply the combined basic child support obligation by the obligor’s share of the parents’ combined income from number 2, above, to get the obligor’s basic monthly child support obligation.

Example: Let’s assume that there are two children, that Father is the obligor and is earning $2,600 net per month, and that Mother is earning $2,200 net per month. Step 1: We add the two incomes to get a combined total income of $4,800. Step 2: We divide Father’s income of $2,600 by the total, and see that he is making about 0.54 (or 54%) of the combined total income. Step 3:According to the guideline chart, the combined basic child support obligation for two children with a combined total income of $4,800 is $1,325. Step 4:Multiplying that total figure by Father’s share of 0.54 yields his basic monthly child support obligation of $716."

As to your fourth question, she cannot simply quit her job or under-employ herself to try to collect more from you. That being said, if she unintentionally loses her job or suffers a decrease in income, then that would be taken into consideration in calculating the child support obligation and you would end up paying more.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am stuck on #3 on your instructions? Having trouble finding the guideline chart you are talking about with 50/50 joint and physical shared custody.Then on your example the father is making about 54% of income. Not much more then the mother? Though, if he had to pay mother $716 a month the mother would be making much more then the father per month. It seems like a very high monthly payment to the mother. Is that correct? The fathers monthly would be $1,884 and then the mother $2916? Something seems off?

I apologize. I thought it had attached the hyperlink.

Please see the following link: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/231/chapter1910/s1910.16-3.html

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No problem, I am glad you sent the chart as I was having so much trouble figuring it out.Is your example on 50/50 physical and legal custody? On your example the father is making about 54% of income. Not much more then the mother? Though, if he had to pay mother $716 a month the mother would be making more then the father per month after the father pays the mother. I can see this if the mother had more custody, but if not It seems to make no since. You sure you are not doing something wrong? If not, can you please explain how this can happen?