Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Can a divorce attorney share personnel client conversation

Customer Question

Can a divorce attorney share personnel client conversation with opposing attorney in Arkansas divorce proceedings? Can a divorce attorney make client decisions without the client consenting if it changes the outcome?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Attorney/client communications are privileged. If there was no third party present during the conversation, it's a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct to share them with anyone without the client's consent - including opposing counsel. Rule 1.6. There are some exceptions if the lawyer believes that the client is about to commit a crime or is committing fraud, but generally, no, he cannot reveal information obtained during private conversations.

The Rules of Professional Conduct also require that an attorney keep a client reasonably informed of developments in the case and consult with the client about important decisions. Rule 1.4. That means the attorney cannot make decisions that would affect the outcome without consulting with the client.

You have the ability to file a grievance.

https://courts.arkansas.gov/sites/default/files/Grievance_Form.pdf

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.