Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

My father died a year ago. he left my mother 25 years ago to

Customer Question

my father died a year ago. he left my mother 25 years ago to live with another woman, 28 years younger than my father, and they married 5 years later . my mother suffered so MUCH, and she could not stand the pain. she was a home stay wife and very devoted to my father and then later she got alzheimers and i am taking care of her at my home and i pay all of her needs with my money. my sibilings expent all my mothers money in themselves . there is no relation ship between the mistress an i since i was the only one that care about my parents so they all ( mistress and sibilings) did not allow me to get close to my father at his last 2 years of illness, so they can do whatever they want. my 4 sibilings, all depend on my fathers company that now she (mistress) owns. i just found out that she just put the head stone for my father at the cementery and she put her name on the right side of my father and on the left she put my mother"s name. she (mistress) did not even allow me to go to my fathers funeral. to me this is a abomination just seeing my mothers name next to her. is it legal for her to write my mothers name on her lot and her headstone? what can be done to stop this? also my sibilings have agreed to burried my mother in the mistress lot when she dies. please help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am very sorry to hear that your father's mistress/second wife decided to take these actions... Unfortunately, if she purchased the headstone, then it is her personal property and she can legally have anything inscribed on it that she wants to, subject to the cemetery's rules and restrictions. If father's estate purchased it, then it would be the executor of his estate's decision as to what to put on the headstone, again, subject to any cemetery rules.

.

I realize that this seems morally wrong that the mistress/second wife's name is ***** *****'s headstone. But if your parents were divorced and father and the mistress were married, then she would be his legal wife at the time of his death and would have the legal right to determine his burial arrangements over anyone else.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks