Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

Can a parent leave a spouse and take a ***** ***** out of

Customer Question

Customer: Can a parent leave a spouse and take a ***** ***** out of state and then file for divorce?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Can a parent leave a spouse and take a ***** ***** out of state and then file for divorce?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Did the parent take children out of state prior to start if any court / divorce proceedings, while parents were legally married?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
there has been no formal proceedings.

Thank you for your follow up.

Prior to either spouse / parent filing for divorce / child custody in family court, both parents share equal legal and physical custody of the minor children and either parent can take the children and move out of state, and while such move is not illegal or against the law, most judges do frown upon such move, especially if it is done by one parent without other parent's consent / knowledge and / or without some sufficient legal reason.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is there a reason to force the parent to move back? Does the parent has to bring the young child back for the divorce? What if parent does something like temporary custody ?

Thank you for your follow up.

Was divorce petition already filed by the spouse who had moved out of state in the state of her / his current residence?

To which state did the parent move?

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.