How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9746
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can California DHS remove a minor from their home without an

Customer Question

Can California DHS remove a minor from their home without an investigation, and a court order?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The child can only be removed if the Emergency Response Social Worker or a police officer determines that the child cannot remain safely at home - then immediate steps are taken to remove and place the child in a safe environment, such as emergency foster care. The child can be placed into protective custody for a maximum of 48 hours. During those 48 hours, a Social Worker will assess whether the child can safely be returned home with supportive services or whether the intervention of the juvenile court is needed.

If the Social Worker determines that the protection of the juvenile court is needed, they must prepare and file a petition with the juvenile court within 48 hours after the child has been removed from the parent or guardian. The petition is a legal document containing evidence that court intervention is necessary for the safety of the child. The court process involves a series of hearings and case reviews.

If there is no imminent concern, then an investigation would be required before seeking a court order for removal of the child.

Please see the attached, specifically page 4 -

A minor cannot be interviewed without their parent's consent, absent a court order to the contrary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!