N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

I have joint physical custody with my sons dad but court

Customer Question

I have joint physical custody with my sons dad but court order that states I am the residential parent and he gets visitation. He lives in a different state so he gets holidays and summer. When my son was 6 I sent him to live with his dad in order to go to a better school and get a better education. Dad told me that I could unilaterally change this situation at anytime to have my son to come back and live with me again. He also stated hat he would not use this situation to gain custody of our son no matter the length of time. My son has been there for four years now. I know my son wants to live with me. Dad is now playing games and not allowing me to see him. What are my options and what if I decide that it is time for him to live with me again?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

You would have to ask him to return the boy and if he refuses, you can file a contempt citation against him in the Court that issued the custody order.

I hope this information is helpful.