How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5949
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you going after back alimony?

Customer Question

How do you going after back alimony?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

1. Can you please provide more background facts so we may better assist you?

2. What is "s/n" mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Divorced in Nov 2007. After 31 years of marriage. Left me for a younger women and relocated to another state before the divorce was final. He didn't attend the divorce in court. I was given alimony until 2017.. In 2008 he took me back to court to have the alimony reduced. Again he didn't attend the court in person had a lawyer in town that took care of his part. Left his job and the alimony hasn't received since 2009 .. Back alimony is approx. $40000.00. And by the way I ended up with the moriage and nothing of his retirement. S/ n social security number.. Can that be filed with the IR S.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.


1. My question is can his s/n be filed with I R S.

This is an option for state child support agencies to submit (certify), through OCSE to the Department of Treasury, the names, Social Security numbers, and amounts of past-due child support of people who are delinquent in their payments. I did not find anything that says this is a direct option for alimony payments; but a court order that you obtain independently may provide for that option.

2. How do you going after back alimony?

Usually, you file what is known as a show cause motion and the court issues a court order asking the husband to appear before it and explain why the support order was violated and why he should not be fined or given jail time under contempt of court.

Here is the law that applies.

Related Family Law Questions