Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

What is the statute of limitations of an ex to abide by the

Customer Question

what is the statute of limitations for failure of an ex to abide by the MSA? i.e. it's a contract , right? Would that mean 10 years? I have spent so much money in family court. Could I sue him in civil court? He has always wiggled out of everything...
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state are you in?
Was the MSA entered as part of the final court order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Illinois, DuPage County; Yes the MSA was entered in April of 2008. He has continued to violate most of the agreement and harass and threaten me on a regular basis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spent over $180,000 trying to just get the MSA done. My lawyers did nothing for me. I did not even get child support. I made over $250,000 the year I got divorced but my ex made $450,000. My lawyer told me that I probably could not get support. What a lie... and did not inform me to plan for a change in my circumstances! Also, did not educate me as to what residential parent really can mean.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was very abused during the marriage and was in post traumatic shock. He has continued to abuse me to o
Thank you for your reply.
IL does treat the MSA as a contractual agreement. If he has breached the contractual agreement, the IL statute of limitations for breach of contract is TEN (10) years from the date he breached the contract. So you need to get your suit filed against him seeking to hold him liable for breaching the agreement and getting the court to enforce the agreement.

Thank you for your reply.

Unless you have any further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.