Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am applying job as a music teacher. I have been asked to

Customer Question

I am applying for a job as a music teacher. I have been asked to fill out the child abuse history clearance form. In the form there is a question asking for names, age and relationship of all the household members I have lived with since 1975.
My questions are as follows:
1. Why would this information be needed and what is done with this info?
2. Secondly my grandfather whom I lived with is not even alive any more? He used to to come on a visitor visa and come and stay with me few months every year and then go back. Should I mention his name at all?
3. As for my parents they have been living separated ( not divorced) since I was very young. My mother lives in India and my father here in the US. I have lived with my mother when she was living here after which she left back to India. Should I mention my Mother's name as well?
Please clarify.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Anyone who would be working around children must go through such a background check. Any history of child abuse, no matter how far back, may be used to disqualify you for any position working with children. Asking for who you lived with is so that they can check to see if there were any issues with those persons living with you.
Someone who came to town to visit with you and did not reside with you on a permanent basis, like your grandfather, is not considered as living with you. He was visiting with you.
You should indeed mention your mother's name if you lived with her on a permanent basis until she left to return to India.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. One more clarification. In the case of my mother she was not a US citizen. She was also here on a temporary visa for about 2 years at the end of which she returned to India and I have been living with my father since I was 2 years. My father is a US Green card holder/permanent resident. Please clarify if I still need to mention my mother's name as I am not sure if they would be able to find any records for a person who was here on a temporary visa for a short period and then left back to her native country. I want to make sure that this does not cause confusion in my clearance.Also since my birth my mother and father were living in separate homes in the U.S for the short period she was here and I used to stay with her during the day and be back with my father in the evenings.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, if you lived with your mother you need to disclose her name. Remember that in filling out these forms the employer is looking as much for honesty from the prospective employee as they are information. So you have to be honest with them and give them all of the information even though you may not think it is relevant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will mention her name as well. As for her visa details when she was here should I be getting the same from her by contacting her in India as I do not have it with me. Would I need to give the same to the clearance people?
Thank you for your reply.
You do not need all of that. You just need to list her name, dates you lived with her (from best you can remember) and contact information, not all of her visa information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The form asks for only name, age , sex and relationship. So where should I write the contact info and dates lived with.
Thank you for your reply.
If the form does not ask for contact information, do not include that or dates lived with. Just give the name/age/sex, you do not need any visa information either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you so much. Just one last question. Would they be able to find out any records for her since she was here in the U.S only on a temporary visa or would she need to be a US citizen/ resident for her records to pick up. I do not want them to come back to me and say that they are having trouble finding records for her and reject my application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kindly clarify the above.If the records can be picked up only for citizens or residents then I can tell them before hand itself that she was here on a visa .
Thank you for your reply.
Likely they will be able to find only limited information on her with her being outside of the country. All they are looking for from you is your honesty. If they can only find limited information that is not going to come back on you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you so much.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.