FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Girlfriend living with another man. I did not know. She has

Customer Question

Girlfriend living with another man. I did not know. She has 11 year old son and said she is not comfortable introducing him to me until she knows we a for sure thing. Made sense to me dated a few other women with kids. Kinda the same protection for all. Told her numerous times about no drama. Told her don't want to hurt anyone she assured me we were exclusive. Would not have dated her and spent a dime on her if she was. 7 months later found out she is engaged and living with the guy. I am now a wreck . Afraid to go out any more. No trust at all. Can't sleep. Been to therapy for depression and can no longer achieve erection. Is this really my problem or do I have any recourse.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. When you are asking about recourse, do you mean from a legal standpoint and suing her?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

What she did is immoral, hurtful and unethical. However, it is not illegal under the eyes of the law and it would not be something that would allow you to go after her civilly, for a cause of action. I completely understand that she hurt you and as a result, you are suffering from it but you would not be able to recover from her, if you tried to sue, as a result of her having an affair and/or lying to you about who she was living with and why she did not want you seeing her son. I understand that you need treatment as a result of this but the fact that the relationship did not work out and she did this, does not allow you to sue her. I know it is not what you were hoping to hear but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you. If the court allowed lawsuits when someone was hurt in a relationship and lied to and cheated on, the courts would be backed up beyond belief.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Why does it not constitute fraud?

What State are you in?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
California

Fraud is using deceit or dishonest means for the purpose of depriving another of money, property or a legal right. In this case, unless you can show she did this and obtained something from you and that was her intent, you will not be able to recover for the emotional effects her actions and decision had.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok understand. Pretty sure he has no idea what happened. Pretty sure she wasn't telling him about us. Is there any problem with me informing him that she has been cheating him. I have pictures etc. So if a registered letter showed up at his door with pictures and a Anonymous letter would there be a problem with that.

If you want to simply advise him of her actions, you certainly can. As long as you are not making any demands or threats and merely want to tell him what she has done, there is nothing wrong with telling the truth. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!