Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I have been legal guardian grandson 4 years now. I have had

Customer Question

I have been legal guardian for my grandson for about 4 years now. I have had him for 6 years. He just turned 13. His mother is very mentally unstable. Rarely calls and never visits.
I am concerned that if I die he will be returned to her. I would like to adopt him in order to protect him for that possibility. I have grown children who will step up if needed.
What can I do to keep him safe in the case of my death. He has said he wanted me to adopt him. He never wants to live with her again.
He is very active in his school. My 2 youngest son's live with us and both have a desire to keep him safe from his mother.
Please contact me###-##-####
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 12 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

You will need to Petition the court for the adoption.

Once the Petition is filed, the court will order a home-study, and of course, the Mother and the Father can contest the adoption. So it will be incumbent upon you to be prepared to show why the adoption is in the child's best interest.

And given that he is doing well after living with you the past 4 years, I suggest you would have a very good chance of having the court order the adoption.

You can check with the clerk of the court and ask for the packet of documents needed to Petition for Grandparent adoption.

If they do not have such forms, then I suggest you will want to consider consultation with a local attorney to assist you.

Here is the LINK for the adoption law and procedures in Ohio.