Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Live in New York State and was offered a section 32 workers

Customer Question

Live in New York State and was offered a section 32 workers compensation settlement for 100,000 out of this there is an 88,000 put aside for Medicare offset in a divorce do I have to give any of this settlement to my wife
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

Because a worker's compensation settlement is for the purposes of replacing both wages lost during the marriage and medical bills paid by the marriage, yes, she is. She doesn't get any of the money that's going to reimburse Medicare, but she would be entitled to half of the money that's supposed to represent your lost wages.

Again, if you'd made $12,000 during the marriage and stuck it in a bank account, she'd get half the money. This check is designed to replace wages that you lost because of your injury, money that wasn't available during the marriage to pay for marital expenses. So it is a marital asset.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please answer the question : I am receiving weekly comp n all medical us being paid my question that I asked was what happens on a settlement 100,000 with 88,000 of that going to a Medicare offset for future medical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it only the 12,000 that she is entitled to half

Again, she doesn't get the money that goes to Medicare, but she's entitled to half the rest.

Yes, that would be the remaining $12,000, unless part of it is for future wage loss.