Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If a minor (16 yrs old) is suspected of a suicide attempt,

Customer Question

If a minor (16 yrs old) is suspected of a suicide attempt, after being released by the hospital, what is the protocol and required time for further psychiatric evaluation.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) What state is this in?

2) Was the minor committed voluntarily or involuntarily? By the parents or the authorities?

3) Is the Court involved in any way (other than possibly confirming the involuntary commitment)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Georgia
2) Voluntarily by Parent
3) No
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There is no set protocol or time for psychiatric evaluation in statute. This is then up to the minor's parent. The parent decides what kind of help the minor receives in such a situation and this is not guided by legally required "minimums."

In other words, the parent makes the decision for treatment (if any) in such a scenario.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a bit confused....my daughter was released from the hospital after being medically cleared. It was required of her to go directly, via hospital appoint vehicle, to facility for follow-up evaluations. it appears to me that it is a requirement (maybe not a law) but am curious on what the minimum requirement is now that she has been admitted.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

You did not tell me that it was required for her to go to follow up evaluations.

It sounds like this is more of a suggestion than a requirement. If so, then she does not have to do this. But now you say that she has been admitted into another facility? Please clarify.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ely,, the basis of my question was whether it is required and for how long. The hospital made it crystal clear that she had to directly to a mental health facility. She could not be released to me. I had not choice.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I asked you the following:

"2) Was the minor committed voluntarily or involuntarily? By the parents or the authorities?"

You said "voluntarily."

I was going off this, but apparently this is not true. No worries. Okay, then here is what happened if I am correct?

1) Minor sent to hospital for suicide attempt

2) Once minor is out of danger, hospital sends the minor to a mental health facility

3) The minor is there now.

Correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Okay, this clarifies the situation. The minor was involuntarily committed, it seems. See HERE. With that link, you will find specific guidelines as to the protocol, and the time required. The clinic will have to defend its decision before the Court and the Court may reverse the decision to commit the minor.

Thank you for your patience in clarifying the situation and my apologies for not quite being on the same page earlier.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!