Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I would like to sign away my parental rights. I had a one

Customer Question

I would like to sign away my parental rights. I had a one time involvement with a Native American girl. I was deployed before she told me she was pregnant. I offered to be responsible once my paternity was established, but she ran to child services and got a court order requiring me to pay child support. I do not have a problem with this but she refuses to allow me to see the child. He is now 4 years old. And when I threaten to take her back to court to have visitation she says she will run to the reservation. She is very rude with me when she will take my calls and I am at loss. Because of our situation, I would like to terminate my rights so I am not financially responsible any longer.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Unfortunately, child support and visitation are completely to separate legal issues and the court would generally not terminate parental rights / child support, unless the child is legally adopted by another adult.

So, if the visitation is an issue, then it is important to file for visitation right away and once visitation is granted, if the mother doesn't comply with the court ordered visitation, then she could be held in contempt of court and sanctioned.

I wish you the best of luck!