Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My 64 yo sister has been married over 40 years. She has been

Customer Question

My 64 yo sister has been married over 40 years. She has been the soul breadwinner as a teacher. Her husband is now a medical burdon at home in a wheelchair. He sits in the livingroom all day and uses a potty chair which she empties. He has Type 2 diabetes and has been noncompliant and refuses to follow medical advise. She just admitted that she thinks he is gay and their very brief sexual relationship stopped when she became pregnant with their only child over 40 yrs ago.She wants a divorce. I am worried that when he needs to go into a skilled nursing facility it will financially ruin her.We now have found out he has squandered her income on gay porn. They lost their only home to foreclosure years ago along with many car reposessions. He has controlled all of the bill paying. She is worried about having to pay alimony.Is there a way to cut legal ties so when he goes into a nursing home she won't lose what little she has. She has always paid for rent, car, bills. She won't be able to afford alimony and/or nursing home costs and take care of herself in her very modest home and limited income. Thank you for any advise and resources you can provide.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

What is the current income that your sister have and what (if any) income does the disabled husband have?