Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Can I take my smi daughter to another state sheis c.o.t. Ad

Customer Question

Can I take my smi daughter to another state for vacationwhen sheis c.o.t. Ad her father is legal guardian
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is under court ordered treatment. For schizoaffective disorder,depression.stress and mood swings. Her father is legal guardian with tendencies. To control and abuse( not usually physical.) we currently live in Az. My daughter is 25 and her dad and I have been married 33 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. She is scared and desperate.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If her father is a legal guardian, you cannot take your daughter anywhere without his consent. If you take the ward to another state without consent of the guardian, it could actually be considered kidnapping or interfering with parental custody. So, if you want to take the ward (as she is an adult under guardianship), but the father who is legal guardian will not agree, your only way to legally do this would be to file a motion in court to ask the court that granted the guardianship for permission to take her.