Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

What is the best way to find a pro-bono lawyer? My husband

Customer Question

What is the best way to find a pro-bono lawyer? My husband is in prison in Washington state. He recently received a letter from a law firm that his case might fall under a recent supreme court ruling that an element of his trial was illegal. They want $2,500 to review his case, but I prefer to see if I can explain the situation to a pro-bono lawyer.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can contact the WA Bar or your local county bar association, that is the first step. Second, you can go to the local law schools, as they have legal clinics that will take on these types of cases. Also, the Northwest Justice Project may be able to assist: https://www.nwjustice.org/
Finally, if this is an issue from an illegal trial, the American Civil Liberties Union may be able to provide assistance, depending on their case load. All of these agencies are really the main pro bono assistance groups in your area that handle these matters.