LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

What rights does a former husband but has lived together

Customer Question

what rights does a former husband but has lived together for fifteen when x wife has a stroke that leaves paralized on right side and memory and lost for medical and property in both names
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As a divorced couple neither of you have any rights to determine the medical care of the other absent a Healthcare Power of Attorney granting you such right.

As for property that you may be purchasing together, if the property is in both names, it is presumed to be owned equally between the two of you. If the property is listed in Joint tenancy, then if she dies the property would automatically go to you. If it is held as Tenants in Common, if she were to die, her share of the property would go to her legal heirs.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug