Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Must the respondant be present once the divorce is finalized

Customer Question

Must the respondant be present once the divorce is finalized in the state of washington?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the parties have a signed agreement that addresses all liabilities and assets, plus any issues related to minor children or support, only one of them must attend the final hearing (or send a lawyer). When the parties haven't agreed and the judge is holding a trial, a respondent who does not appear is likely to not get anything he or she is asking for, so that tends to be a very risky strategy. The party who is choosing not to appear at the hearing also needs to really trust the other spouse, too, that they won't try to pull anything at the last minute and change the separation agreement, seek to invalidate it, or introduce new issues that weren't thought of. It's unfortunate, but it does happen.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.