Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My wife has been working multi millon who pays her so

Customer Question

my wife has been working for a multi millon who pays her so much(which she never would tell me what she earned, just last years 1099 my wife owes 20000 just for last. I receive VA and social sec, we never filed together Im concerned about the tax folks messing with me and this lady if we can get acess to records will find out that she probably owes closer to 60000. this women loves my wife that she thought my wife was calling and answered high sweetie love or something weird.My wife has never told me what she ggets pad, if she made double what i make she might have to pay me, and Karren Matteson should be sued ffor buying my wifes love. Ive been aandonded like a dog, she gets benefits from va and she said she would sign Im not respossible for her tax or any present or future debt. what should I do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you did not file a joint tax return and you did not know what she filed, then you would fall under the innocent spouse rule and as such would not be liable for whatever she owes in taxes. You have to prove that you never filed a joint return and as such you had no way of knowing what she made or claimed on her taxes and as such the IRS would find you do not have any liability for her debts.